Thing 36: Web Presence

Our elementary librarian, Jen, created a website using Google Sites earlier this year, and I've been interested in trying it too. As I began looking at the resources for Thing 36, I found Scotia-Glenville's Google Site and thought it was great. I sent an email to Debbie Collins, the teacher librarian who created the site, and she graciously gave me permission to borrow her ideas.

I began this week by starting a website in the new Google Sites. Newer is better, right? That doesn't seem to be the case here, at least for me! I had considerable difficulty maneuvering and figuring out how to do things such as inserting images and links. I decided to try Classic Google Sites and it seemed to work a little better, but I couldn't figure out how to change the theme once I got started. Jen was here yesterday, and when I asked her about it, she said my best option was to delete the Site I had started, and begin again. She showed me how to insert images, and said that classic is easier to work with than new. So now I'm going to begin again today!

Off to a rocky start! I entered Warrensburg Junior Senior High School Library Media Center as the new site name/address and got a message that the location is already used by another site. It must be that although the other sites were deleted, the one is still utilizing this address. I'll have to change the name. I started the new site with a different name and found myself frustrated with each thing I attempted to do. I'm having difficulty with images and links. There was a student here who helped a bit with the link part. I was trying to insert the link from the wrong spot. Once we got that figured out, I found it easier. There is still a long way to go working on the website. I entered a few basic items that I want to include, but am not sure where I want to go from here.

I'm sharing what I have accomplished so far, and hope to continue working on the website over the summer.

https://sites.google.com/a/wcsd.org/warrensburg-jshs-library-media-center/


Comments

  1. Hooray for persistence! Glad you're digging in and refusing to give up, though it sounds like you were tempted. :) Keep asking for help when you need it, you'll learn so much more that way. Great start on your site!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment